Thursday, January 12, 2017

September 11, 2001

I just watched Dan Rather break down on David Letterman tonight. Of all the things that I've witnessed and/or heard about this horrible and unbelievable week, that was perhaps one of the most affecting. I hope that does not come off as shallow. Journalists, whatever you may think of them, are humans, and so would of course be as affected as you or me. But it's a bit like witnessing your father cry for the first time. It makes the world less safe. That's how I'm feeling. Less safe. I should have been feeling this all along. Jerusalem. Ireland. Afghanistan. Africa. We're all guilty for feeling caressed by the easy life of Master Card Ad's and Monday Night Football. Not an easy wake up call to live through.

I really can't write. I'm too filled with confusion and horror and waves of emotion, coming in and out like the tide. Suffering a cold brings up a slight paranoia of biological threats that might be floating in the air, undetected by our sophisticated EPA technology. A thunderstorm on Friday night gave me little sleep as every boom was the plane hitting the towers again.

I hope you and yours are well. I pray that Alexine has a lifetime of peace and security ahead of her.


No comments:

Post a Comment