Thursday, January 12, 2017

In The End, All We Want Is Beauty (Sept. 5, 2009)

You can talk to me all you want about structure and how the lyric needs to fit the melody and it all should sit really clear in a form and sit nicely and hopefully within a 3:30 minute structure. And dear god write a hummable and clearly memorable chorus that everyone will get the first time around and sing along to. Write something universal, yet personal. With prosody and a clear rhyme scheme. I get that and I aspire to that...sometimes...

But you know, those kind of writers don't jab me in the gut -- always (with the exception of Darrell Scott, who slays me almost all the time, and Beth Nielsen Chapman who makes me weep like a teenager).

Then someone vague comes along and sticks a fucking needle of mysterious real truth in my aching heart. 

Like Bon Iver on a song mysteriously titled "Re: Stacks" that runs over 5 minutes long and is so simple I could play it. Writing from a cabin in Wisconsin (sounds like a guy I want to have a conversation with, from my cabin in Shandaken...same winter, both break up albums, but seriously, his ep is something I can only wish for...the winter beauty, the spareness, the empty space of ache and loss)


This my excavation and today is Qumran
Everthing that happens from now on 
This is pouring rain
This is paralyzed

I keep throwing it down two-hundred at a time
Its hard to find it when you knew it
When your money's gone
And you're drunk as hell

On your back with your racks as the stacks as your load
In the back and the racks and the stacks are your load
In the back with your racks and you're unstacking your load

(and the last verse)

This is not the sound of a new man or crispy realization
Its the sound of the unlocking and the lift away
Your love will be

Safe with me

No comments:

Post a Comment